A History of Christ Church in Ballston Spa, New York
In 1786, following early missionary work, a congregation of individuals gathered together for worship drafted formal documents to mark the formation of Christ Church. The church was formally recognized by the Diocese of New York on June 27, 1787.
The original church was erected between 1787 and 1791 in Ballston Center. Wishing to relocate to a location closer to the center of town, the congregation took down the church, and rebuilt on Front Street in Ballston Spa, which had grown to become a major tourist center because of the reputed benefits of the mineral springs. The new church building was consecrated on August 11, 1818. However, Christ Church soon began to outgrow this building.
In 1835, the present location was purchased to construct the beautiful structure which is now our church home. Its cornerstone was laid on October 5, 1860, and work was completed in March 1862. The English Gothic style church was designed by architect Richard Upjohn & Co., NYC, and features a tall spire, exquisite rose window, and side buttresses.
The church Rectory was built just before the church in 1835. The Rectory served as the home for the parish priest until 2000. It housed various ministries until, in 2010, it was completely rennovated to become KidsFirst Childcare Center.
The Federal style Field House, c. early 1800’s, is situated next to the church on West High Street. Formerly known as “Peacock House”, it was renamed for Rev. Robert Field, who was the parish priest for 22 years. The Field House was given to the church, and now is the location of the administrative offices and many classrooms. In 2000, the Field House was expanded and connected to the main church building with the construction of the welcome center and parish hall.
The brick building across the street from the church was once a New York State Armory. Purchased by Christ Church in 1873, it served for over a hundred years as the Sunday School and fellowship hall, and the site of church dinners and other church gatherings. It now the location of Noah’s Attic Outreach center.
For more on the early history of Christ Church, please check out the book “Christ Church Ballston Spa, N.Y.: The Story of a Parish” written by William A. Andrews, available to read for free online.